Thursday, January 05, 2006

Basic Thoughts on India: It's All About the Men's Fashion

I don't get the clothes that guys wear here. Most wear traditional clothes, like dhotis, kurtas, and lungis (the Indian version of a kilt), or semi-Western clothes, like a collared shirt and trousers. But many of the younger guys have a style that is becoming ever more popular in India. And, as many of you know, I know zilch about fashion. Let's just say that color is definitely IN. Colorful shirts with vertical stripes, odd little flares, and very open collars (basically the shirt is only half-buttoned) seem very popular. This is coupled with jeans or slacks that are FAR TOO TIGHT! I mean, often times, you can see everything...even and especially if you don't want to. I don't understand how such pants can be comfortable. Look, I realize that many Indian men and boys are super skinny, but that doesn't mean that they need to wear pants that are too small. I mean, how do they sit in those? Another funny thing is the jean pants. I have yet to find a pair of "normal" pants, where nothing has been done to them. All popular jeans have been stone washed, acid washed, painted, striped, etc. They are super fancy. My jeans must feel like the Ugly Duckling.

As I said before, I know nothing about American fashion. Perhaps these clothes are popular in the States as well. But being a person who hate shopping and who nothing about fashion, I fine the taste to be quite remarkable. And of course, these clothes are only worn by younger men, and typically they are found on a small minority. But the fashion is still incredible.

No comments: