Saturday, January 28, 2006

What Happened to the Erotica?

As I've been traveling, I've noticed something that would have made me blush if my cheeks could turn red: lots of old-time erotica. Statues and murals and paintings and carvings of people having sex in incredibly revealing and lewd manners. Basically, super-visual representations of the Kama Sutra on temples, in antique shops, and in palaces. Even animals are shown going at it. And some of these depictions are only slightly more than a hundred years old. Which makes me question what's happened to Indian society. Has conservativeness simply become more common over the past couple of centuries, or has India always been conservative with a few power-holders going against the grain? Still, whenever I, and to a certain extent other foreigners, notice these highly explicit images, I can't help but chuckle. This definitely wasn't an India I now know, but it seemed like more fun.

No comments: