Thursday, January 05, 2006

Some More Thoughts: Religion and Sapan


So, being in the South has definitely had the effect of making me much more religious. As many of you know, Sri Ganpati (or Ganesha, the elephant-headed god) has always been important to me. Now, it seems that I can't go a day without seeking out a Ganpati temple and receiving my darshan (viewing of the god). I walk every day with a kanku (or Tika) on my forehead, a sure sign that I've received a blessing. On the above picture, I've received about four different blessings, thus placing both ash and red powder on my forehead, and covering my earlobes with ash. Often times, I go back to the temple, or any temple, again at night. I don't know why this is. But it feels like a habit now.

And the thing is...I don't know what to pray for. I mean, I visit so many different temples and thus constantly pray, that I very quickly run out of things to say. So, I typically clear my thoughts and just give myself and my blank mind to the god. Or I just go through the actions so I can receive my kanku...I swear, it's like a drug now! I feel a sense of pride when I walk around with the mark on my forehead. It also helps me blend in a bit.

But here's the main question: When people pray so much, what do they pray for? Or, put another way, how is each new darshan made unique?

Darshan and kanku...the new drug...who'd have thunk it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, you look like a typical Tamilian! As soon as I looked at the picture my brain imagined you wearing a white dhoti folded up to your knees!