Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Beware the 'Pink Tea'

Many smaller, more local restaurants in Kerala don't serve water immediately. Instead, they serve a pink tea. I saw this first in Trivandrum, and refused to touch it, much to the confusion of Parvati and Srijit. I saw it many other times during my time in Kerala. Still, when I asked about it, no one could tell me anything about it, accept that it's ayurvedic. Most people, including tourists, had never even seen it. They all thought I was crazy.

Finally, in the Wayanad, I decided to try it. I would be leaving Kerala soon, and this seems to be common, at least to me. I asked it the tea was previously boiled, and the waiter assured me that the tea was safe. So, I had some for lunch and dinner on the same day. It basically tasted like hot water, and I blame the tea for my stomach sickness that followed. So, if you visit Kerala, avoid the pink tea!

No comments: