Friday, February 10, 2006

Pick Your Own Identity

Before I open my mouth to any Indian stranger here, my mind becomes like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I got to decide who I am before I say anything. Here are the decisions:

1. Am I Indian or American? If I'm Indian, I'm definitely Gujarati. If I choose this path, I must use an accent at all times.
2. If I'm Gujarati, what reason do I have for not being able to speak Hindi? This issue most likely will come up. Kids in particular can be very perceptive about this.
3. What's my job? Usually, I'm an English teacher. Hey, I was at one point in time! If I'm American, this isn't an issue. If I'm Indian, am I teacher in America or Gujarat?
4. Am I married? This one is easy. Hell no! Why not? Just because...
5. Usually by this point, the conversation fizzles. Hopefully I'm home free.

I typically choose the Indian path if I'm with kids or in a situation where I know that saying I'm American will draw far too much attention. Still, I hate this game...

No comments: