Thursday, February 09, 2006

Things I Don't Get

Okay, there are many things about India that confuse me. I've already indicated a bunch over the past two months. Here are a few more:

1. In South India, when Hindu kids are blessed, they don't just get a kanku (or tika in Hindi, kum kum in the South) placed on their forehead. Nope, they get something special. A little black dot placed between the brows, and another one on their left cheek. I don't understand this, and the few people I've asked really didn't either. It's just something people do.

2. Pepsi in India (and maybe in the US too???) has now released a new flavor: Cafe Chino. Coffee-flavored cola. I tried it today. Ummm...recall this one quickly! Like you did with Crystal Pepsi!!!

3. In Tamil Nadu, there are scarecrow-type dummies everywhere rural. But these are a little frightening, and they aren't just in fields to scare away birds. These dummies are typically hanging with a noose tight around their necks. Sometimes, even blood is shown. I even saw one impaled, with a sharp stake going through it. And these can be found near houses, temples, or in fields. It's really quite disturbing.

No comments: