Thursday, February 02, 2006

Moral Dilemmas

Okay, I have two problems/issues to resolve.

1. At what point does taking pictures of locals and villagers doing their jobs become like taking pictures of animals in a zoo? I would be traveling on the backwaters or through the mountain villages, and tourists would be snapping away. I've tried not to do this (unless it's a big group, I have permission of the photographee, or I'm taking the picture for reasons other than novelty, like I just think it's a nice picture), but it's tough. At what point does that line exist where we start seeing people like animals?

2. As an environmentally-friendly person, I've tried not to follow the Indians' example of constantly littering on the ground. But I've hit a point of difficulty. What's the use of not littering when the cities don't even bother to sprinkle trashcans along the road? I'd walk around for hours with a piece of trash until I arrive back at my hotel. But sometimes that's not possible. So, before we change the mindsets of the people, we need to provide trashcans.

No comments: