Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ahmedabad: It's All Relative 2 -- The Adults

Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time with the adults as with the others, as can be seen from the poor pictures below, many taken from videos or cropped from other photos. Still, they are my relatives, somehow or another, and therefore deserve a mention.


Of course, the most important are Didi Masi and Kamlesh Masa, the parents of Hardik and Prayag Bhai. Didi Masi and Kamlesh Masa have been nothing but welcoming to me. I appreciate the fact that Didi Masi drinks more water than anyone I know, even my mom. Also, that Kamlesh Masa thanks the sun every morning through prayer. The food has been delicious, though I apologize to Kamlesh Masa for my tastes, which have prompted Didi Masi to make food too spicy for his stomach. Still, I see a lot of my mom in Didi Masi, and Kamlesh Masa is the perfect match.


Dhiren Bhai is technically my mom's cousin's son. I've known him and his wonderful wife, Kirti Bhabhi, for many years now. I remember poorly learning how to ride a two-wheeler from him, and competing with eating spicy tomato soup with him. And of course, I remember a baby Aalap and the time in Ramkrupa, with Sejal's three kids, fataafat, lagbag, and thhraas. I hope I'll get to see these two folks before I must leave.


Meena Ben, who is the sister to Chetan Bhai in Bangalore, lives in Jamnagar and was unhappy that my mom left her off the "list" of people for me to know. She is Maitri's mom. I really didn't have much chance to know her. All I know is that she is a teacher, like Meera Ben, whose husband is Bakul Bhai. Meera Ben teaches Montessori style in an amazing school known as Shreyas. I didn't get to know any of them well, but at least I now know that they're family.

Ah, Manju Masi. I saw her in Bangalore at Raju Bhai's place, but I never had a chance to chat with her. She's a super-cool lady. We have an inside joke about gaining weight due to food, and I scared her by eating a very hot pepper. Bhabhiba and Motamama, Dhiren Bhai and Meera Bhen's parents, thus the grandparents of Aalap, Vatsal, and Suhani (and her brother Sapan, yes Sapan), have been known to me for as long as I can remember. I love them immensely. Both are incredibly caring, and Bhabhiba is my Mom's second mother. Bhabhiba doesn't seem to age, but Motamama's condition worries me.


Uma Masi and Gyansham Masa, shown with Didi Masi and Kamlesh Masa, are also quite nice. Uma Masi is Ashok Mama's sister. They live across the street from Didi Masi. I really didn't get to know them so well, but it was nice to meet them.

Of course, with all these relatives, there are those who aren't really related, but who are still a part of the family. Kishore "Mama" is the brother of Natu Mama's best friend, Batuk "Mama." Kishore Mama's wife, Manda "Mami" is a great cook. His brother, Bahu "Mama" knows a lot, like an encyclopedia. His sister, Baby "Masi" is also very nice. In addition, I met Ami's family and had an amazing lunch with them. Usha Auntie and Narendra (?) Uncle are very nice. Reepal, Ami's sister, works in a bank and reminds me a little of her sister. Shial (?), their brother, is a cool kid who also has some of the rubber wristbands that are so popular.

So, these are the adults. Lots of them, all enriching my time in Ahmedabad. Thanks to them all, and particularly to Didi Masi and Kamlesh Masa.

Of course, one was missing...

No comments: