Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ahmedabad: It's All Relative 1--The Young'uns

Something I've come to realize is that there were two reasons to be visit Ahmedabad. First, and most importantly, was to help give Motiba's remains (aasti) to the holy Narmada River. Second was to meet people. Some I met for the first time after seven years. Others I met for the first time period. Sadly to say, I didn't even know that lots of these people even existed. Not that it would have mattered, simply because the kids would have been too young seven years ago anyway. It's funny how when you're younger, age differences seem so large, but when you get older, the same difference means nothing.

I wanted to include all my relatives in this post, but Blogger wouldn't allow me to upload so many pictures. So, this particular post is focusing solely on the people I wouldn't consider "the adults." These people provided much needed excursions and showed me a good time in Ahmedabad. I could "let my hair down" with them, and I would definitely consider them all my friends. So, here they are...



Prayag Bhai...my actual first cousin. His mom, Kalindi Masi (better known as Didi Masi) is my mom's older sister. Kamlesh Masa is his dad. His brother, Hardik, lives in Bangalore with his wife, Ami. For the past seven or eight years, Prayag Bhai has worked with the Art of Living. He is quite spiritual, but with an extremely goofy side as well. Sometimes you never know which side will come out, though both are always welcome. Like everyone in my family, he is very loving but also very teasing with his parents. My kind of guy. He is also my only cousin with a moustache...that's gotta go!


Aalap and Vatsal are technically my...well...I don't really know. Dhiren Bhai, their father, is the son of my mom's cousin, Motamama. So, I suppose I'm their Uncle in some fashion. But they better not start calling me Sapan Kaka! The last time I saw Aalap, he was 11, which now makes him 18. Vatsal, now 12, never knew me. Of course, neither did Aalap really, though I remember him from when he was a baby. Both are very cool, and due to the trip to Chandod, I got to know Aalap better than mostly anyone. I still need to hear him play the violin. Also, Aalap is very good, natural even, at explaining physics concepts. Oh, and Vatsal looks very smart, perhaps even dapper, in his school uniform.

Ah, the women, neither of whom I knew existed before this trip. I unfortunately didn't get to know either so well on this trip. They all attend the same school, though they go to different campuses. Maitri, who is holding that pillow like she needs it to survive, is doing Commerce. She is exceptionally mature for her age, and has a softspoken coolness about her. Suhani, who looks a bit like an old-time movie actress while preparing to get on her two-wheeler, is focusing on biology-maths-chemistry, and is in her final year of university. She has a lively spunk that goes against the stereotypical image of the traditional woman. And while I am also their uncle, they better not dare to call me Sapan Mama!

These five really made my trip to Ahmedabad. The other places I will be visiting, Surat and Bhavnagar, will probably be fun, but not in the same way, for they do not have any youngsters for me to connect with. So, I thank Prayag Bhai (who really isn't a youngster), Aalap, Vatsal, Maitri, and Suhani for putting up with me and my annoying American habits and pronunciation, and I wish them the best in everything they do.

No comments: