Thursday, March 16, 2006

Philosophical Question 3: Elderly Dignity

I have been around many elderly people since I've come to India, and mainly Gujarat. Many elderly people need help and assistance. For example, on the day I traveled to Bhavnagar from Ahmedabad with my grandparents and my Fai/Fua, we stopped for a rest along the way. I was told to help out my grandparents as they were getting out of the car. I went to do this, but they seemed to do fine. And at that point, I started wondering about the dignity of my grandparents. I know that they need assistance, but doesn't waiting on them hand and foot remove some of their pride? Doesn't this really make them feel old? Or should we not worry about this? I am of the opinion that we should stand there with them, but not do anything unless they ask or look like they need it. Let them climb their own stairs, eat their own food, and live their life until they really really can't. Don't jump in too soon, or dignity may be lost.

No comments: