Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ahmedabad: Motiba, We Miss You


The one person who obviously wasn't with us was my Motiba...my grandmother. The modest shrine to her is the center of most everything. But, it's still not her. Bhai, Masi, Masa, Aalap, and I went to Chandod, near the Sangam of the holy Narmada River, to immerse her aasti, or remains, into eternal peace. The occasion was solemn, and I had the great honor of being the one to remove the aasti from its burial place outside the house and then carry it to the car. I am very thankful for that opportunity. It may have simply been a mundane and perfunctory task, but it meant so much to me.

While I didn't understand the ceremony which occurred before the immersion, I still felt the emotional weight of it, as did we all. The immersion, though quick, seemed like the final punch of goodbye, calling up many emotions to the surface. And all I could think of was my mom. I missed her so much. So much.

This was the reason I came to Ahmedabad when I did. And I'm so glad I did.

Goodbye Motiba. We love you. We miss you. You'll always be with us.

No comments: