Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Hampi Teaser 1: A Boy Named Karan

So, I met Karan the first day I arrived in Hampi. He
was the first to see through my "I'm Indian but can't
talk with you" ruse. When I said I was Gujarati, he
told me that I should be able to speak Hindi.
Therefore, I couldn't be born here. Karan's a smart,
14-year old. He's also a bit of a leech. His whole
goal, as is the case with everyone in Hampi, is to
make money off of people. We've become friends, or so
he says. We chat everyday, not because I want us to,
but because he's "working me." Two days ago, he
actually grabbed my hand while we were walking. I
wasn't shocked at the gesture. No, what surprised me
was his belief that I believed we were friends. Then,
yesterday, he asked me to go Hospet today to see an
American movie with him. Of course, I told him maybe
(I don't plan to go). Maybe you're thinking that he
really is my friend. Yeah right.

Let me tell you about Karan. The first day we
chatted, he told me that Israeli people only want to
f*** each other. He also didn't believe (perhaps
sincerely?) that America also had the sun, the moon,
and the stars. Additionally, he made light of the
fact that his father was a mean person, thus causing
him and his mom to flee Delhi. Yes, I know lots about
Karan. But I still don't trust him. He oozes
insincerity, claims to be your friend when all he
wants is something from you. No, I don't trust him.

The problem? He's VERY well connected in Hampi. And
now he knows where I live (he followed me back to the
guest house last night). I'm still not going with him
to the movies. And yet we'll still be "friends."

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

No comments: