Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hampi Teaser 5: Food and the Lonely Planet

Food in Hampi is quite the mixture aiming to cater to
the international crowd. For breakfast, you can
anything from eggs to pancakes to Muessli. For lunch
and dinner, I've seen Chinese food, Israeli food,
Tibetan food, Italian food, American food, and of
course, Indian food. The funny thing about the
restaurants here is that they each spell everything
wrong. For example, I just saw the term "Spainish
omelette", thus prompting me to ask how it was
Spanish. Nope, "Spinach." I've seen the word
"lasagne" spelled with an "r" instead of an "l." Part
of the fun of eating out is deciphering the names of
the dishes. Many of my fellow tourists and I have
decided that all the restaurant owners should get
together and decide on uniform spellings for all the
dishes. Even better: have an native English speaker
with them. The other amusing thing about restaurants
here is that many of them proudly announce a
recommendation from the Lonely Planet. Of course,
what they don't tell you is that the recommendation
might have been from 1973. Still, they wear the
praise like a badge, thus causing me to snicker every
time I walk by a place touting the name Lonely Planet.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

No comments: