Friday, December 30, 2005

Journal Bits 1: Beware of Silence

I don't think Indians know how to be silent. They are frightened by the emptiness within a moment of no talking. When a quiet moment begins, one of two things can occur. 1) Someone feels the need to start singing some random Hindi song. I've noted this in passing. Specifically, Noori (from Hampi) and Ami (my bhabhi) both come to mind. 2) If we're walking or driving, someone tends to read out loud the random billboards or signs that are passed by, like the other people simply cannot read. Once again, Ami did this, as did Pinku (my cousin). I have continuously seen these phenomena, and have even told my cousins, who agree that though they had never noticed them before, these seem to be true. So, why does silence scare Indians? I don't think it does. On some subconscious level, it simply feels awkward. So, Indians find a way around it that involve reading or Bollywood.

No comments: