Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Hampi Teaser 2: The Guest House

Hampi doesn't have hotels. It has guest houses, which
are family run. And they're everywhere. Mine is the
Deva Guest House. It's really simple, with only four
rooms, all leading to an outside patio. We all share
one bathroom, and one squat toilet. Lakshmi Ben cooks
food, but of course it's not free. Still, the fact
that I'm paying 70 Rs a night is very good, and the
food isn't bad either.

Some people wake up to the sound of birds chirping. I
wake up to the sound of monkeys running across the tin
roof and making a ruckus. We'd have to throw them
bananas just to keep them happy. But of course, by
giving them bananas, they just keep coming back. The
monkeys have a lot of power.

Yesterday and today were both somber days. The father
of Deva Bhai and Lakshmi Ben (the proprietors) passed
away yesterday. I paid my respects to him last night.
He seemed so much at peace. Previously, he had
always looked so frail. Still, the mood is quite
somber, though the drums and trumpeting during today's
annointing may indicate otherwise.

I only planned to stay in Hampi for three days. That
became six. The guest house, though simple, serves
its purpose well. And sometimes I feel like I'm part
of the family. But only sometimes...when they aren't trying to get money from me.

No comments: