Friday, December 30, 2005

Journal Bits 3: Miscommunication in Communication

Why was I always so confused when I tried to follow directions or understand answers to questions? Why did people always feel the need to laugh at my foolish actions (beyond the normal reasons, of course)? Why did I often feel lost when it came to communication? Suddenly, I knew the answer. It was an epiphany of sorts that harkened back to my education. According to the world of sociolinguistics, cultures and societies can use one of two types of communication: explicit and implicit. America is explicit. We're blunt. We say what we want to say. Sarcasm aside, Americans tend to verbalize every answer or thought clearly with minimal use of facial expressions or gesticulation. When someone says something, typically the message is pretty obvious. Indians, on the other hand, are HIGHLY implicit. About a third of their communication comes from facial expressions and gestures. Understanding depends on both context and cultural awareness. The short wave of a hand can mean either yes or no. The sweep of an arm can lead you in any direction...you just need to know where. And then there's the head wobble, which can mean: yes, no, maybe, perfect, fine, don't know, it's unknown, okay, excellent, hello, see you later, etc. It really is that confusing. I've pretty much got the wobble down...the hand gestures get me.

In America, it's really simple. In India, you REALLY have to read between the lines.

No comments: